In this episode I sit with Jim Wentworth, a Vice President of Sales in the healthcare industry. We discuss how having a deep connection, and an overall great relationship with your employees, makes for better performers and organizational outcomes.
- Make a deeper connection with your people by understanding what motivates them
- It’s important for your people to understand what motivates you
- Don’t allow your coaching to become prescriptive or too process driven
- Your actions are more powerful than your words
- Figure out what is driving positive and negative behaviors with your employees
- Be authentic
- Don’t be afraid to share with your people what you’re not good at, i.e., “Don’t fake the funk”
- Try to remember the names of your employee’s partner, spouse, kids, etc.
- Inject a little bit of emotion and joy and laugh into your job very day
- Own your development. Even the best at the craft allow themselves to be coached