082: How Leadership Begets Followership, with Michael Lyons
In this episode, I sit with Michael Lyons, who serves as president and general manager of oncology at Myriad Genetics, where he brings over 20 years of experience in the biotech, MedTech, and pharmaceutical space. Michael was recognized by PharmaVoice Magazine as one of the top 100 most inspiring global leaders, and Pharmaceutical Executive Magazine also named him as one of the top emerging leaders in the world.
- To have leadership, you need to have followership. And that doesn’t mean that people report to you in an organization. It means that they’ll follow you from organization to organization
- Whether there’s a reporting structure, dotted line, straight line, up, down, left, right, leadership is about taking the time to listen to your colleagues, making certain that they’re okay, being empathetic, understanding their challenges, etc.
- Our job as leaders is to clear hurdles and have everyone operating at their very best
- Have strong work ethic, treat people fair, remain humble, and focus on what’s most important
- Vision and culture can never be just words on a page. It can never be the aspect where you forget about it, or you just say it at your quarterly business reviews. You need to hire against it. You need to onboard against it. You need to do merit evaluations against it. Because if that piece becomes compromised, then everything will fail